Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Night With The Pup

I wish I had more photos of the as-yet-unnamed pup to show off, but one of my cameras' upload cords is missing, and the other camera's battery died yesterday and I was too busy with the dog to remember to charge it.  So, just text.

The dog proved to be golden in the car.  She came with me up the road to Hillsboro to join my roommate for lunch, and sat quietly underneath my chair on the porch of the Pretty Penny.  We went by the dollar store (Nordstrom, for those of you paying attention) and picked her up a collar and some puppy chow, and she spent the rest of the day chilling in the shop.  She even came with me to a meeting in town, where she lay quietly behind my chair for the duration of the hour and a half of discussion.

I was worried about her being at the house, but again (and I'm hoping this will be a theme), she was golden.  As I mentioned before, I don't think she's ever been an indoor dog, but now that she's had a taste of that sweet life, she's unwilling to give it up.  It took a solid ten minutes of me sitting on the porch steps for her to work up the nerve to wander into the yard.  Once she got going, she had a fantastic time, and if she went too far she'd come back as soon as I called.  However, once we went back inside for any length of time, it was like all of her progress reset to zero and we had to go through it all again the next time we ventured out.  Fortunately, I like sitting on my porch steps.

She was wary of the stairs inside until my roommate came home and started to use them (her bedroom, a half bath, and storage are the only things up there).  Dog followed up and down, up and down, and then, when Roomie settled in the kitchen, the dog continued her pattern.  Up and down, up and down.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone enjoy stairs as much as this dog does!  After about ten minutes of this pattern, she descended one last time and dropped the brown bath mat from the second floor triumphantly on the floor.  She was so proud of herself, it was difficult to work up enough scold in my voice to convince her that what she'd done was wrong.  She is a cutie!

She's grabbed a couple of things which don't belong to her (in addition to the bath mat), but once you speak up, she drops them with alacrity.  She slept the whole night through cuddled up to me, with her head on a pillow, the goof.  I half expected her to wake me up early, but she was dead to the world until my alarm went off.

Still no word from my landlord.  Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment