Sunday, August 22, 2010

In Which I Muse On Love And Loneliness

I've been thinking lately about loneliness.  I've been single since February of '08, and before that relatively short relationship I'd been single basically since high school.  I'm used to being single.  I do pretty well alone.  I have some of the best friends a girl CAN have, but most of them are in wonderful, committed, long-term relationships, and that can wear you down if you think about it too much.  It doesn't help that I got an e-mail yesterday from a dating site I signed up with a few months ago, and 2 of the 6 suggested matches were gay men looking for "marriages of convenience" with lesbian women.  Gotta admit, that was a little depressing.

Then I made things worse by deciding to watch my current Netflix movie this afternoon, which happened to be The Young Victoria.  And then, misty-eyed and sniffling from that, I clicked on a link and stumbled across this video, an animation of two StoryCorps interviews with the same couple, Danny and Annie, about the beginning and ending of their life-long love.  If it doesn't make you laugh and cry, then you probably don't have a heart.
The sweetness and sadness of it reminded me of how much I'm missing out on, being single.  But it also reminded me of how much, hopefully, I have to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment