Friday, June 11, 2010

In Which The Grass Is So, So Blue

Yesterday, my friend Tamar sent me an e-mail inviting me over the mountain into Greenbrier County for a concert.  Hmm, I thought, that's a hell of a drive, especially if I end up coming home after dark.  Then she dropped two very special words: "Free" and "Bluegrass."
So I went to Lewisburg last night to watch the Black Mountain Bluegrass Boys perform on the lawn outside Carnegie Hall.  Tamar brought along a fantastic picnic dinner and a bottle of spiked limeade, so of course fun was had by all.  Jerry, another VISTA, tagged along with Tamar, and a bunch of folks from the Pocahontas County Ultimate Frisbee group were there, too.  I ran into a fellow from my group at PSO, which made the whole evening perfect.
Jerry and Tamar
Emily triumphs over watermelon.
Tamar shows off her pretty, pretty zoom lens.
Boone was there, too, and after an initial freak-out, calmed down and enjoyed the evening.
The band was fantastic, the food was fantastic, and of course, the company was the best.  A great time was had by all.  After the concert and conversation wrapped up, I followed Tamar back to her apartment, where I was gifted with a lettuce plant for my trouble.  I had bought a CD from the band, and it took me all 18 tracks to get back over Droop Mountain in the dark.  If you've ever tried to thread a needle, that's a bit what it was like.  Threading a needle with my car.

I've been told that Carnegie Hall does 5 free concerts like this one over the summer--something to keep an eye out for!

No comments:

Post a Comment